[Clay-talk] Smectite and illite orientation index by X-ray powder diffraction

Guoping Zhang zhangg at umass.edu
Wed Jan 21 11:31:52 EST 2015

Dear clay experts,

I am looking for some methods to quantify clay particle (e.g., smectite and illite) orientation through X-ray powder diffraction patterns (or other better analytical or imaging techniques). Could you direct me to some references?

For example, kaolinite orientation index, an old technique is to use the ratio of intensity of a basal reflection to that of a prism reflection (060): I(001)/I(060).

Please reply to my email: zhangg at umass.edu.

Best regards,
Guoping
Guoping Zhang, PhD, PE
Associate Professor
Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering
University of Massachusetts Amherst
38 Marston Hall
Amherst, MA 01003
413 545-3970 (Phone)