[Clay-talk] Euroclay 2015: Session QPA and Reynolds Cup School

Plötze Lothar Michael michael.ploetze at igt.baug.ethz.ch
Tue Jan 27 09:58:23 EST 2015

Apologies for multiple postings.

Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of my co-conveners (Reinhard Kleeberg, Mark Raven and Helen Pendlowski) I am in a very pleasant position to announce the session dedicated to quantitative analysis to clay bearing materials at the forthcoming Euroclay2015/CMS42 conference, July 5-10 2015 in Edinburgh.

"Developments and applications of quantitative analysis to clay bearing materials; incorporating 'The Reynolds Cup School'."
Michael Ploetze, Reinhard Kleeberg, Mark Raven & Helen Pendlowski

The keynote will discuss the general outcomes of the "Reynolds Cups of the CMS" summarized from all contests.
For the morning session we invite contributions on QPA by any available method such as diffraction, spectroscopy, chemical analysis, or microscopy or combination of methods and approaches.  Papers on methods and procedures as well as applications of QPA procedures, in soil, geological and materials science are encouraged.

The afternoon session incorporates 'The Reynolds Cup School' with a series of invited presentations and extended discussion outlining best practice in procedures and strategies to obtain QPA of 'state of the art' quality with today's most widely available tools. Extended "How-to-presentations" will cover the following topics:
"sample preparation suitable for quantitative XRD", "techniques for identification and characterization of clay mineral species", "application of pattern summation techniques", "application of Rietveld techniques", "supporting information useful for quantification" as well as "methods for verification and checking consistency of results".
Participants will have the chance for extended discussions.

For abstract submission and more information about the session - please visit: http://www.euroclay2015.org/sessionsandsymposia).

IMPORTANT DEADLINES:
Abstract submission: 31st March 2015, Deadline for Early Registration: 1st March 2015

Best Regards
Michael Ploetze
ETH Zurich
IGT, ClayLab