[Clay-talk] Mysterious XRD patterns

Georg Grathoff Grathoff at uni-greifswald.de
Thu Oct 1 09:25:33 EDT 2015

Dear friends of clay,
recently a student came to me with the following mystery.  He collected a
suspension of the <2um size fraction and prepared a glass slide with that
size fraction.  He ran first  the air dried, second gycol solvated (60C for
48hrs) and third 550C heated (1hr) scan of the same slide.  Now the
mystery: In the glycol solvated pattern calcite dissapears while another
phase or phases appear with peaks at 5.88, 5.2, 3.13 and 2.82 Angstrom.
After heating the mystery phase disapears again and the calcite increases
in intensity.  I attached the XRD scans of the three patterns in black the
air dried, in blue EG and in red heated.
Has anyone seen this before, what could have happened?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Georg Grathoff

--
Georg Grathoff