[MSA-talk] Mineralanguage

Michael Anenburg manenbu at live.com
Thu May 1 13:22:17 EDT 2014

Reminds me of Goldshmidt 2012, my first international conference out of my native Israel. So I went there thinking to myself that my English is ok but actually I have no idea how to pronounce most mineral names, and I was a bit worried because of that. To my relief, apparently no one knew how to pronounce them, including native English speakers. The most striking one was oliv-ee-ne and oliv-ay-ne, but I think I heard very other mineral in existence pronounced in more than one way.
When I asked one Australian professor about a certain mineral, his answer was either, pronounced as ee-ther. I asked him whether it should be pronounced like that or like eye-ther, like I thought it should. His answer was: either.

In case you were wondering, it's VOLastonit in Hebrew.

Michael.