[MSA-talk] pronunciation

Mark Logsdon mark.logsdon at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 1 13:50:44 EDT 2014

kil-OM-eter: surely a result of the frequency of the iamb in English literature (and its sources)

We all do the best we can, usually continuing in our errors unless corrected reasonably forcefully by some authority figure, and reinforced as we may be  by our peers.  I took my first mineralogy and petrology courses with the late Rob Hargraves.   He retained the South African pronunciations (for example of pyroxene), but never tried to change any of us benighted Americans, presumably because the communications on science seemed to be moving along.  [I also recall an economics class in which our preceptor, a German, referred repeatedly to in-VEN-to-ries, which the entire class of us found incomprehensible until someone had the wit to ask him to write out the word for us.  An in-VEN-tion would have seemed perfectly fine, but an in-VEN-tory was simply beyond our ear.  Odd, but pretty common.]

Mark

Mark J. Logsdon
Geochimica, Inc.
9045 Soquel Drive, Suite 2