[MSA-talk] early mineralogy interest

Chris Tacker rctacker at yahoo.com
Wed May 7 16:17:44 EDT 2014

Hello, group,

I'm interested in what influenced many of you to become interested
in mineralogy.

Pink feldspar gravel roads in the Black Hills of
South Dakota caught my interest, as well as the exhibits at
the South Dakota School of Mines. I had one of their
mineral collections, sold with samples of uranium ore and asbestos.
I was still interested in high school, then opted out of
pre-med in chemistry for what eventually became geochemistry.

Yes, I have an agenda: I'm interested in what role, if any,
mineral exhibits and museums played in developing your interests.
I'm interested in what moved you all into the "pipeline" and what
I can do to move younger people in that direction.

No, I won't use any personal stories without direct permission
from you. And no, I won't hit you up for any money.

Cheers,
Chris Tacker

R. Chris Tacker, Ph.D., P.G.
Research Curator II in Geology
North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences

Blogs:
http://naturalsciencesresearch.wordpress.com/author/christacker/

http://drsledge.wordpress.com/