[MSA-talk] R: early mineralogy interest

gregor at unisi.it gregor at unisi.it
Thu May 8 02:34:48 EDT 2014

well, as a child I was around to observe and collect almost everything which I could find in
nature and seemed somehow curious or beautiful to any of our senses. And minerals and
crystals as found on my trips through the Alpes was one of my favourite because, unlike
flowers and mushrooms, they lasted longer (until eventually my mother became upset with all
those dust-catchers and put them in the cellar).

Minerals inspired me then to take up chemistry end eventually become involved in materials
science, solids with curious and useful physical and chemical properties.

This might be one useful thread to move interest in mineral exhibitions, sort of living museum
offering the possibility to realize some experiment with polarized light, diffraction gratings and
the like (BTW, 2014 is the International Year of Crystallography, http://www.iycr2014.org/).

I recently addressed this role of minerals in a short introduction to our mineral collection here
at Siena, if you like I can make available the pdf of the slides (8 MB).

best

Miguel

Hello, group,

I'm interested in what influenced many of you to become interested
in mineralogy.

Pink feldspar gravel roads in the Black Hills of
South Dakota caught my interest, as well as the exhibits at
the South Dakota School of Mines. I had one of their
mineral collections, sold with samples of uranium ore and asbestos.
I was still interested in high school, then opted out of
pre-med in chemistry for what eventually became geochemistry.

Yes, I have an agenda: I'm interested in what role, if any,
mineral exhibits and museums played in developing your interests.
I'm interested in what moved you all into the "pipeline" and what
I can do to move younger people in that direction.

No, I won't use any personal stories without direct permission
from you. And no, I won't hit you up for any money.

Cheers,
Chris Tacker

R. Chris Tacker, Ph.D., P.G.
Research Curator II in Geology
North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences

Blogs:
http://naturalsciencesresearch.wordpress.com/author/christacker/
http://drsledge.wordpress.com/

--
Miguel Gregorkiewitz
Dip Scienze Fisiche, della Terra e dell'Ambiente, Università
email gregor at unisi.it