[MSA-talk] R: early mineralogy interest

Mark Logsdon mark.logsdon at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 8 15:51:34 EDT 2014

I grew up in farming country in Illinois, so exposure to rocks and minerals was limited.   My introduction was two-fold:  1) a trip with my family to Chicago that included a day at the Field Museum. 2) reading a book, ca. age 10, about Roy Chapman Andrews and the expeditions from the American Museum to the Gobi Desert during the 1920s.   The beauty of the museum specimens, certainly including what I would learn one day to call symmetry,captured my aesthetic sense.  The adventure, as well as the raw geography/geology, of the Gobi stirred my heart.  I vowed that I would become a geologist, and roam the world finding specimens of great beauty and having adventures.  [Made it to the South Gobi in 2007, for copper, not dinosaurs, but the principle was there.]

So both branches had deep connections to museums, and to this day someone has to drag me away from the door of a natural-history museum, - who knows that beauty and excitement there might be in there?  A great loss to me was Princeton's decision to close the old natural history exhibits in Guyot Hall.  As an undergrad, I spent hours and hours in there.  Oh, I understand, just fine, that none of that was cutting edge of science - even then; I know it did not fit with how the Department was evolving.  I am sure they did need the space.  But it was a good old natural-history collection, and a great source of sparks for the imagination.

Mark
Mark J. Logsdon
Geochimica, Inc.
9045 Soquel Drive, Suite 2