[MSA-talk] early mineralogy interest

Daniel Hummer dhummer at epss.ucla.edu
Thu May 8 18:17:58 EDT 2014

Hi Chris and folks,

My story is a little unusual. I was not one of the kids that grew up
hunting for rocks in his backyard - I was fascinated by chemistry from
an early age, and established a lab in my family's basement in which I
did all kinds of experiments using the chemistry set I had been given
one Christmas. (The following Christmas Eve, when my lab was too
cluttered, I wound up producing pure bromine at the kitchen table and
nearly poisoned my entire family, but that's a different story.)

Entering high school, though I had interest in a number of sciences, I
decided I wanted to be a chemist. I joined the Science Olympiad team (a
great extracurricular activity for young science enthusiasts that I now
volunteer with), and asked my coach to be in the chemistry related
events. She put me in two chemistry related events, but also put me in
an event called "Rocks, minerals, and fossils" which, it may shock some
on this listserve to know, I actually hated. I viewed it as a pointless
memorization of rock and mineral names and asked my coach to put me in a
different event, but she insisted that students should be exposed to
different sciences.... a decision that altered the entire course of my life.

Soon after, we began having weekly practices with a grad student at Iowa
State. We examined specimens from the collection at the university and
learned their chemical compositions and properties. Before long, it
dawned on me that the elemental composition and atomic arrangement of
each mineral governed all the properties we were learning about, and I
saw patterns that I had never seen before. The more I learned the more
excited I became, and by the end of the school year, I was begging my
coach to put me in "Rocks, minerals and fossils" for next year's team. I
vowed to learn everything I could about the chemical composition of the
earth and the variety of minerals it contained.

I entered college as just a chemistry major. My first year of college,
after taking a mineralogy course from the geology department and falling
in love with not only mineralogy but aspects of traditional geology as
well, I decided to add geology as a major. Fifteen years later, here I
am. I look back on my path to mineralogy and geology as a reminder that
teachers and coaches play a massive role in shaping people's lives...
but I suppose the mineral collection at Iowa State had a hand in my
story as well.

Dan

Daniel R Hummer
Postdoctoral Scholar, Mineralogy and Crystallography
Department of Earth and Space Sciences
University of California, Los Angeles
dhummer at epss.ucla.edu
Phone: (814) 321-8859