[MSA-talk] Early mineralogy interest

Tony tony at excaliburmineral.com
Fri May 9 14:58:08 EDT 2014

I was hooked as a young boy when my older brother presented me with an Elba pyrite and a Kentucky stalactite on one of his rare trips home during military leave. As a city kid growing up in New York, I had never seen such things! My first Golden Book, followed by others, taught me some basics, but frequent trips to Walkers Minerals in New York City and the American Museum of Natural History expanded my horizons. Dave Seaman at the AMNH always had his door open, and he not only tolerated my many questions, but he even would show me how HCl would make calcite fizz, along with other neat tricks to help me identify specimens (imagine a curator doing that today???)

Dan O'Connell and Purfield Kent at CCNY were my first mineralogy professors years later, both astute mineral people and collectors themselves, and trips to collect New Jersey trap rock minerals during the construction of Interstate 80 were field trip highlights for me, significantly more rewarding than my earlier attempts at field collecting (digging garnets out of Manhattan schist in Central Park by using my boy scout knife!)

Were it not for those early mentors, I wouldn't be sitting on some 200,000 mineral specimens in my warehouse today!

Tony Nikischer
Excalibur Mineral Corporation
1885 Seminole Trail - Ste 202
Charlottesville, VA 22901-1160