[MSA-talk] P-T stability of BaCO3 (witherite)

Ben Mandler bmandler at MIT.EDU
Wed May 21 10:49:26 EDT 2014

Hi all,

We are interested in using BaCO3 as a pressure medium for high-temperature
experiments (up to ~1300 C) at relatively low pressures (4-7 kbar). We are
concerned about the potential for BaCO3 decarbonation in the high
temperature range. Yet information about the PT stability of BaCO3 is
eluding us.

Does anyone know of any information on the P-T stability of BaCO3 over this
range? Or has anyone had first-hand experience with this?

Thanks a lot,

Ben Mandler
Doctoral Candidate in Igneous Petrology
Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA 02139
617-253-2876