[MSA-talk] Mineral name for perovskite-structured (Mg, Fe) silicate?

Anton Chakhmouradian Anton.Chakhmouradian at umanitoba.ca
Tue May 27 22:54:45 EDT 2014

Getting back on the topic of perovskite-type (Mg,Fe)SiO3 and CaSiO3. To name (Mg,Fe)SiO3 after Lin-gun Liu seems like the most appropriate thing to do, of course, but Fredrik William H. Zachariasen certainly deserves one of the future perovskites to be named after him, as well, for his instrumental role in deciphering the structural relations between perovskites and other complex ABO3 oxides under Goldschmidt's tutelage. Thomas Barth was actually the first to publish the structure of CaTiO3, but there is already a TOMBARTHITE (monazite-type hydrous Y silicate). Zachariasen came up with the now-fundamental tolerance factor concept. Here is some bio information on him for anyone interested:

http://www.nasonline.org/publications/biographical-memoirs/memoir-pdfs/zachariasen-frederik.pdf

https://www.fas.org/sgp/othergov/doe/lanl/pubs/00818116.pdf

Incidentally, anyone fascinated by perovskites (or the history of mineralogy) may be interested in reading our editorial in the PCM thematic issue on these minerals:

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00269-014-0678-9

Anton R. Chakhmouradian

University of Manitoba