[MSA-talk] Birchite

Anton Chakhmouradian Anton.Chakhmouradian at umanitoba.ca
Wed May 28 19:42:31 EDT 2014

A few clarifications to some of the previous e-mails, if I may:

-          Something does not have to exist at the Earth’s surface (or be stable under ambient conditions) to qualify as a valid mineral species. Prior to the recent report from Australia published in Geology, tranquilityite, for example, was known only from lunar rocks. Akimotoite and ringwoodite are not stable at the surface, but do represent valid minerals.

-          The current CNMNC rules are actually quite reasonable – see, for example, the description of barioperovskite in AmMin (vol. 93, p. 154), where individual grains were < 10 microns in size. Browsing through the approvals of the past few years, the two key requirements seem to be compositional and structural data (or, at least, a convincing enough diffraction pattern demonstrating uniqueness of the material).

-          Although it is indeed the prerogative of the discoverer to propose a fitting name, the CNMNC members do provide feedback on both the mineral AND THE NAME. And these members are supposed to represent us in that capacity, not strictly speaking just their personal opinion. (That is the reason why their names are accompanied by little state flags on the CNMNC page.) I am not sure how much of that supposed feedback has been sought by each individual member, but that is certainly something we all can influence and, potentially, change. I do agree that choosing the name for two of the most common minerals on this planet (MgSiO3 + CaSiO3 “perovskites”) should be an international endeavour, particularly given the tremendous collective INTERNATIONAL effort that has been invested in their study to date.

One example where CNMNC exercised their authority on a new mineral name, from the not-so-distant past, is the Ca borate SERBIANITE (or SRBIANITE in the original version), the name that was rejected by IMA (vote 1995-020) on unclear (well, not clear enough to me) grounds and, despite the discoverer’s appeals, has never been approved. The mineral was finally published as JARANDOLITE. I do not mean to politicize this discussion, so anyone interested in this story can find out the details from this Mindat page: http://www.mindat.org/mesg-14-24370.html

Anton Chakhmouradian
University of Manitoba