[MSA-talk] EMC2016: Session P20 "Computational mineralogy: advances and synergy with experimental data"

Mainak Mookherjee mm2457 at cornell.edu
Tue Apr 12 09:33:52 EDT 2016

Dear All,

We would like to draw your attention to the session “P20 Computational mineralogy: advances and synergy with experimental data” at the European Mineralogical Conference 2016 to be held at Rimni, Italy. We invite you to submit an abstract to our session.

Details are as follows:
Deadline: Abstract and Early registration- May, 09th , 2016.

Title: P20 Computational mineralogy: advances and synergy with experimental data
Keynote Speaker: Marc Blanchard
Convenners: Azzurra Zucchini, Sandro Jahn, and Mainak Mookherjee
Session description:  Processes operating in the Earth are often controlled by atomistic scale dynamics in the minerals, melts, and fluids. Hence, it is crucial to understand the crystal structure of Earth materials under a diverse range of thermodynamic variables such as pressure, temperature, and chemistry. Laboratory based experiments provide valuable clue to properties of Earth materials in such diverse thermodynamic condition. However, they are often limited in exploring the full range of intensive variables. Over the years, computational mineral sciences have taken a center stage in making predictions for the behavior of minerals, melts, and fluids at conditions that are not directly accessible to laboratory based experiments. In addition, computational method provides unique and complementary understanding of the processes operating in the atomistic scale. A good synergy between the computational mineral sciences and the experimental approaches is crucial for the better understanding of the principles underlying the mineralogical processes. In this session, we invite a wide range of contributions including (but not limited to): the state of the art in “Computational Experiments”, theoretical studies applied to understanding of the behavior of Earth Materials, and the laboratory based experimental studies that provide new challenges for the computational mineral sciences.

We look forward to seeing you at Rimni.

best wishes
Azzurra Zucchini, Sandro Jahn, and Mainak Mookherjee
Mainak Mookherjee
Assistant Professor
Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences
Florida State University