[MSA-talk] New mineral description needed

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Tue Apr 26 14:25:59 EDT 2016

Hydrated?
Will the material desicate and change under some of these beams?
When powdered is the material distorted? Was it powdered in a hydration
preserving oil? i.e. does grinding change the material as it progresses.
Morphology?

Interesting...

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 9:19 AM, Henry Barwood <hbarwood at troycable.net>
wrote:

> There is a new hydrated iron phosphate mineral found at Girard, Burke
> County, Georgia that needs analysis and description. It was recognized (by
> me) as a new mineral 22 years ago and has been looked at by 4 separate
> groups without success. The problem is that the crystals, while well
> defined are simply too thin to yield adequate single crystal data for
> crystal structure analysis. Does anyone on the list have access to electron
> diffraction or another technique that might be able to solve this mineral?
> I would really like to see it described since it would represent the first
> mineral with a Georgia type locality. I have very few specimens of this
> left but would sacrifice 1-2 if anyone believes they have a reasonable
> possibility of success. Thanks.
>
> --
> Henry Barwood
> Professor, Earth Science