[MSA-talk] New mineral description needed

Kolitsch Uwe uwe.kolitsch at NHM-WIEN.AC.AT
Thu Apr 28 14:02:40 EDT 2016

I also observed streakiness in the diffraction patterns. A possible unit cell I found:
C-centred monoclinic, 30.0, 5.16, 9.57, beta = 99°.

Regards, Uwe

Priv.-Doz. Dr. Uwe Kolitsch
Kurator der Mineralien- und Lagerstättensammlung
Mineralogisch-Petrographische Abt.
Naturhistorisches Museum
Burgring 7
A-1010 Wien, Austria
Tel +43-1-52177-274, Fax +43-1-52177-263
E-mail: uwe.kolitsch at nhm-wien.ac.at<mailto:uwe.kolitsch at nhm-wien.ac.at>
Website: http://www.nhm-wien.ac.at/uwe_kolitsch

Von: msa-talk-bounces at minlists.org [mailto:msa-talk-bounces at minlists.org] Im Auftrag von Anthony Kampf
Gesendet: Dienstag, 26. April 2016 20:00
An: Daniel Hummer; msa-talk at minlists.org
Betreff: Re: [MSA-talk] New mineral description needed

I checked the material by powder and single-crystal XRD. I can confirm that there is no match for the PXRD. Unfortunately, after numerous attempts at finding a suitable single crystal, I failed to get even a sensible unit cell. There is a lot of streaking of spots, indicating significant disorder in the structure. I suspect that there is also twinning on a very fine scale parallel to the plates.

Tony
Anthony R. Kampf, Ph.D.
Curator Emeritus, Mineral Sciences
900 Exposition Blvd. , Los Angeles , CA 90007
Phone: 213-763-3328; Fax: 213-749-4107