[MSA-talk] wire iron

Alfredo Petrov alfredo at mindat.org
Tue Dec 5 00:01:13 EST 2017

The native silver wires seem to grow by having material added to the
bottom, the base, ie. material "pushed" out from the decomposing matrix
under it. So the terminal end of the wire would be the oldest deposit and
the base the youngest. You can observe this happening in a few minutes by
heating acanthite with the flame of a blowtorch.

Native iron, on the other hand, being magmatic, created by reduction in a
melt, would be unlikely to grow in such habit.