[MSA-talk] wire iron

Silverstein, Joshua silverj at miamioh.edu
Tue Dec 5 08:59:09 EST 2017

Hi Jerry,

When gold precipitates from solution its crystal habit is dependent on the
concentration of the gold. At low concentrations gold growth occurs as 2D
growths where the growth is seen to preferentially deposit at steps,
terraces and vacancies. With increasing concentration you move from 2D to
dendritic (wire) growth. With higher concentrations gold hopper crystals
are the dominate crystal form.

Why we do not see this in native iron I am not sure. Possible because golds
outer electron shell is weaker and is more likely to exhibit
dissolution/reprecipitation behaviors.

I recommend you contact my graduate adviser. Dr. John Rakovan (
rakovajf at miamioh.edu) is a professor at Miami University (
http://www.cas.miamioh.edu/~rakovajf/). He is very knowledgeable about
native metals and has done extensive work with Gold and Silver. He is
currently looking at dendritic silver wires (synthetic and natural) to
understand the crystal growth habits of silver.

Cheers,

Josh

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 5:52 PM, Magloughlin,Jerry <
Jerry.Magloughlin at colostate.edu> wrote:

> Two related questions: Is anyone aware of papers describing native iron in
> a wire habit, akin to
> what is sometimes present in native silver and native gold? I have a lot
> of papers on native iron
> and nearly all seem to illustrate or describe a generally granular or
> blocky or irregular habit.
>
> Second, why does a ‘wire’ habit develop in these isometric minerals? Any
> papers describing this
> would be much appreciated.
> Jerry
>
> Jerry F. Magloughlin
> Colorado State University

Joshua Silverstein
Student Council Past-President, Microscopy Society of America
Editor, Micrograph of the Week, Microscopy Society of America
silverj at miamioh.edu