[MSA-talk] DUST 2018

Giere, Reto giere at sas.upenn.edu
Sat Dec 9 18:53:18 EST 2017

Dear Colleagues,

As part of the organizing committee of the 3rd International Conference on Atmospheric Dust in Italy (https://www.dust2018.org/<https://deref-web-02.de/mail/client/6FBU9xUdNEw/dereferrer/?redirectUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dust2018.org%2F>), we would like to draw your attention to the session on Road Dust (HE01), which we are convening (see description below).

The Dust conference is an exciting and high-quality scientific venue, where scientists from around the world are presenting their latest research on all aspects of dust.

We would appreciate if you could please distribute this information. The abstract deadline is 22 January, 2018.

Thank you and best wishes,

Reto Gieré (University of Pennsylvania)
Volker Dietze (German Meteorological Service)

=========
Road Dust
Particulate emissions from traffic not only comprise combustion-derived emissions but also non-exhaust particles, which originate from abrasion of brakes, tires, and roadway. These particles accumulate on the pavement as road dust, which also contains dust particles from other anthropogenic activities (e.g., construction, demolition, industrial) and from natural sources (e.g., soil, plants). Therefore, road dust is a highly complex material, both mineralogically and chemically. Mobilization and re-suspension of road dust by wind and passing traffic can lead to high human exposure (via inhalation, ingestion, and dermal absorption) to heavy metals, metalloids, mineral and organic matter, and microplastics, especially in urban areas. In addition, road dust can have a significant ecological impact as a result of stormwater runoff from the pavement. With currently more than half of the global population living in urban areas, characterization of road dust is therefore key for establishing possible mitigation or preventive procedures.

***************************************
Dr. Reto GIERÉ
Professor and Chair
University of Pennsylvania
240 S. 33rd Street, Hayden Hall
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6316, USA
Phone: 215-898-6907
http://www.sas.upenn.edu/earth

Editor, Journal of Petrology
Chief Editor, European Journal of Mineralogy
Center of Excellence in Environmental Toxicology