[MSA-talk] resources for Economic Geology

Frank K. Mazdab fmazdab at email.arizona.edu
Mon Dec 18 16:19:24 EST 2017

Hi Mona,

Although I don’t have a specific suggestion for a source of already prepared thin sections/epoxy blocks for your lab, I did want to bring to your attention my online collection of scanned thin sections (in transmitted light) that includes a variety of samples from diverse ore deposit types.  Although most of the examples are poor in opaque sulfides and oxides (those would make for pretty boring scans), many do show the associated non-opaque alteration assemblages that are equally important in the broader petrologic understanding of ore deposits.

For example, there are numerous samples showing various advanced argillic alteration assemblages (with different mineralogies in each); numerous samples from different parageneses from the Franklin (NJ) and Broken Hill (NSW) high-grade Mn-Zn deposits; a number of Långban (Sweden) samples; a few samples showing K- or Ca-Na silicate alteration associated with IOCG occurrences; pyrochlore- and niocalcite-bearing carbonatites; thin sections from a variety of gem deposits; etc.  There are many others.  There’s even a Michigan sample represented: chloritoid from the Spurr mine.

All of the scans are in regular light and under crossed polars, and many are accompanied by compositional data for the minerals that are present.  There are also some limited X-ray maps and BSE images.

While of course an online thin section collection is no substitute for actual ore samples, or even a substitute for the real (not online) versions of these themselves, I believe it might be possible to develop a lab exercise that incorporates material like this… or at least I’ve been pondering about how to try to do that.

In any case, feel free to peruse the images:

https://www.rockptx.com/thin-section-scans/ <https://www.rockptx.com/thin-section-scans/>

I think there could be something of interest for an ore deposit class… after all, many of these samples came about from my original roots in ore deposits.

Frank

> On 18 Dec 2017, at 13:18:40, Sirbescu, Monaliza Catalina <sirbe1mc at cmich.edu> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I have the rare opportunity to teach an economic geology course (10 students signed up for next semester), including a weekly three-hour lab. I am aware that this type of course has become quite rare, but I didn’t realize how scarce the teaching resources can be.
>
> Are you aware of any polished ore-mineral samples (common sulfides, sulfosalts, oxides, etc.) for study in reflected light, that are in surplus or no longer needed at your institution? Any set of reasonably-documented ore samples that you would be willing to donate (or lend until May)?  Please shoot me an email so we can coordinate the shipping.
>
> Or do you know anyone selling ore collections of hand samples + polished sections?  Any help would be appreciated,
>
> Thank you so much!
>
> Mona
>
> ___________________________
> Mona Sirbescu
> Professor of Geology
> 314 Brooks Hall,
> Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
> Central Michigan University
> Mount Pleasant, MI 48859
> sirbe1mc at cmich.edu <mailto:sirbe1mc at cmich.edu>
> Office: 989-774-4497

Frank K. Mazdab
analytical mineralogist
Department of Geosciences
1040 E. 4th St., Gould-Simpson Bldg. (Bldg. 77)
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721

fmazdab at email.arizona.edu
office: rm 342 Gould-Simpson Bldg.