[MSA-talk] EGU 2018 session announcement

Maria del Carmen Sanchez Valle sanchezm at uni-muenster.de
Fri Dec 22 01:58:42 EST 2017

Dear colleagues,

we would like to draw your attention to the interdisciplinary session “Applications and perspectives for Earth Sciences research using synchrotron and free-electron-laser radiations (GMPV1.8)” that we are organizing at the next EGU in Vienna, 8-13th April 2018.

We invite contributions from different disciplines, including but not limited to, geochemistry, mineralogy, petrology, volcanology and rock physics.

Please note that the deadline for abstract submission is 10 Jan 2018.

Best regards,

Karen, Francois and Carmen

GMPV1.8

Applications and perspectives for Earth Sciences research using synchrotron and free-electron-laser radiations

Synchrotron-based techniques have found a multitude of applications in research problems in geochemistry, mineralogy, petrology, volcanology and rock physics in the past two decades and advanced considerably in the past few years. Recent developments include an increased spatial, temporal and energy resolution, new spectroscopic, mapping and imaging methods, as well as new experimental devices that allow reproducing various geological processes under in-situ conditions. Free-Electron-Laser (FEL) based techniques are currently emerging and are extending our research to previously inaccessible regions with respect to time-resolution and coherence applications. These new experimental techniques generate large amounts of data that necessitate developing innovative data mining techniques. This session invites contributions of latest experimental and data processing developments in the fields of synchrotron and FEL radiations as well as recent results which profited from these novel experimental approaches.

Conveners:
Karen Appel (European XFEL)
Francois Renard (University of Oslo)
Carmen Sanchez-Valle (WWU Muenster)