[MSA-talk] Plate tectonic Ig/Met Pet syllabus

Matt Kohn mattkohn at boisestate.edu
Wed Dec 27 09:57:58 EST 2017

Hi,

I’m teaching igneous and metamorphic petrology this spring, and I’d like to experiment with approaching it with a plate tectonic/Earth processes structure.

For example, for one block of the class, I might couple subduction zone metamorphism with arc volcanism. Or, continental collision - type regional metamorphism with partial melting and production of S-type granites.

I haven’t been able to find a syllabus that covers Ig/Met pet in this way.

Yes, I’ve looked on the SERC website.

Does anyone have a lead on just such a course design? I’d really rather not make any mistakes that others have discovered.

Thanks,

Matt