[MSA-talk] Plate tectonic Ig/Met Pet syllabus

David Dolejs david.dolejs at minpet.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Dec 28 05:08:57 EST 2017

Dear Matt and all,

this is an interesting idea -- I have been dealing with similar isuue
for some time, primarily driven by question how to design petrology
courses at three subsequent levels from junior bachelor to senior master
level.  I like to place emphasis on geodynamic context at the advanced
bachelor level and on physico-chemical aspects (structure and properties
of silicate melts, phase diagrams, metamorphic thermodynamics,
deformation mechanisms) in the master.  I realize that this may also
offer additional advantage if your bachelor curriculum does not have a
senior bachelor class on plate tectonics (or geodynamics).

I am not sure if you want to couple igneous and metamorphic processes
together or just place igneous or metamorphic aspects into geodynamic
structure of your course.

For the igneous part, I start with mid-ocean ridges (vertical structure
of the Earth's mantle, adiabatic melting), then subduction zones
(fluid-present melting or "silicothermal" plumes, differences imposed by
water and oxidation state leading to contrasts between tholeiitic and
calc-alkaline series), mechanisms of magma differentiation (MASH) in the
arcs, continental collision (dehydration melting, types of partial
melts, differentiation towards granites, granite types),
post-collisional extension, anorogenic settings (anorthosites, aluminous
A-types), plumes and continental breakup (systematics of basaltic melts
with pressure and degree of partial melting, origin of carbonatites,
continuum of basaltic-kimberlitic-carbonatitic melts, differentiation
and diversity of alkaline rocks).  It may not be bad to start with
plumes (+ LIP), breakup (layered intrusions), rift, ridges etc. until
post/anorogenic settings.

For the metamorphic processes, a comparable scheme is more difficult to
build.  Perhaps one way is to introduce metamorphic gradients in
geodynamic and temporal context (see reviews by Mike Brown), then follow
similar framework as above: low-pressure metamorphism near mid-ocean
ridges (sea floor), high- und ultrahigh-pressure metamorphism in the
subduction zones (+ discussion of mechanics, de/relamination, exhumation
etc.), metamorphic pairs in arcs (adding low/medium-P metamorphism of
the arc crust), collisional metamorphism (Barrovian type), extension of
the continental crust, exhumation of metamorphic domes, migmatite
complexes (possibly melting in the crust), concluded with metamorphic
styles in the Archean.  It will, however, be difficult to find resources
for this type of class (perhaps: Johnson & Harley; Nicollet -
Metamorphisme et Geodynamique).

If you truly want to mingle metamorphic and magmatic processes, then I
would look at geodynamic resources (Frisch et al.; Condie) and condense
it from those.

I would be happy to hear anyone else's opinion as well.

Best wishes, also for the new year, to all,
David

--
David Dolejs  (Professor of Mineralogy & Petrology)
Institute of Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Freiburg