[MSA-talk] Plate tectonic Ig/Met Pet syllabus

Johnson, Elizabeth Baedke - johns2ea johns2ea at jmu.edu
Thu Dec 28 12:36:29 EST 2017

Hi,

I teach Igneous and Metamorphic Petrology to sophomores and juniors.  The course is organized in a spiral learning format.  This means that we revisit concepts learned in the first part of the course during the second part of the course in the context of tectonic case studies.

In the first half of the semester, we work on identification of igneous and metamorphic minerals, rocks, and textures, and some whole-rock major element geochemistry.  We use some smaller case studies in the first half of the semester to apply knowledge (Peninsular Ranges Batholith, Cascades), but the main focus in the first part of the semester is skill-building.

During the second half of the semester, students must recall textural terms, identification methods, geochemical concepts, plus they must add to these skills with field observations, additional thermodynamic/geochemical techniques, and must interpret the data within plate tectonic and/or mineral resource contexts.  I use three case studies: the Bushveld LMI, our local western VA Eocene/Jurassic volcanic rocks, and the metamorphic and igneous history of southwestern VA.  The last two involve magmatic processes and tectonics, and are also local/regional so the students can see the rocks, or similar rocks, in the field.

I do not hide the pedagogy from the students - I explain at every step why we are "doing" the different types of rocks twice in the same semester.  I think the format has two distinct advantages: 1. introducing material and then re-using it a month or two later gives some time for students to process the knowledge and then apply it, hopefully for greater retention; and 2. it is a method that allows at least the last half of the course to be formatted in a case-study/tectonics format.  Most of our students would be overwhelmed if I immediately jumped into the higher-order conceptual skills for detailed tectonic case studies at the beginning of the semester.  This, of course, may be very different for other curricula or graduate-level courses.

The biggest disadvantage I have encountered in this course format is for the few students (perhaps 1 out of every 40-50 students) who struggle to keep up with vocabulary and chemistry skills in the first half of the semester.  If they cannot master the first part with a grade of C or better, then they have even more difficulty applying these skills to the case studies.

Hope that helps!  I am happy to share learning objectives / exercises with anyone who is interested.
Liz Johnson
Associate Professor
Department of Geology and Environmental Science
James Madison University