[MSA-talk] Plate tectonic Ig/Met Pet syllabus

Hanna Nekvasil hanna.nekvasil at stonybrook.edu
Fri Dec 29 16:54:21 EST 2017

David, I was really struck how much of the undergraduate petrology course I
teach parallels yours. Before I start at the mid-ocean ridges, however, I
teach a basic thermodynamics mini-course where the students predict
reaction stability from G,V,S etc, learn about ideal and non-ideal mixing,
construct G-X diagrams for simple igneous systems and use them to construct
the basic phase diagrams. It is this phase diagram knowledge that they use
repeatedly in my presentation of the "Wilson cycle". We focus on suites of
rocks and how they are produced in the varied tectonic environments.
Because of this extensive time-consuming intro, metamorphic petrology is
given as a lightening mini course where they are introduced to chemographic
diagrams and ultimately use them to determine the P-T path of a metamorphic
terrain and determine mineralogical assemblages and protoliths of specific
lithologies in the terrain, following Phillpotts' excellent examples. I
have found no textbook that I can use.

Best wishes to all for the New Year!  Hanna

*Hanna Nekvasil*
*Professor of Geochemistry*
*Department of Geosciences*
*Stony Brook University*