[MSA-talk] student personal disclosures (was ...color-blind students...)

Matt Kohn mattkohn at boisestate.edu
Wed Nov 1 09:41:10 EDT 2017

> In a non-exam situation, I always suggest to students with color vision issues to ask their neighbors, and so they don’t feel self-conscious about it, I make sure at the start of the semester to note that I’m color-blind

While I understand the good intention here, after attending an inclusivity workshop, I strongly caution against this.

It's one thing to reveal one’s own color blindness (an encouraging act), quite another to (implicitly) ask a student to reveal this information to another student.

I do think it’s important make an announcement to the class, inviting them to speak to me privately if an individual has color blindness. That allows me to make learning accommodations. But it’s important not to put pressure on anyone, especially when you’re in a position of power over them.

Look at it this way: suppose you’re bisexual, and you choose to admit that to a class. It’s quite another to suggest that one student to reveal that to another student.

Best,

Matt