[MSA-talk] student personal disclosures (was ...color-blind students...)

Hanna Nekvasil hanna.nekvasil at stonybrook.edu
Thu Nov 2 11:27:34 EDT 2017

Having had over the years so many students who can't see the vivid colored
Becke lines, I know its not restricted to students with formal
color-blindness, so I make sure that seeing this is not a necessity in
grading rubrics. Also over the years I have not seen a pattern of lower
grades in mineralogy and petrology labs from students who after the course
say they are color-blind. They simply found other means of identification
of minerals.

Other personal disclosures are trickier to deal with when you believe that
the student could be helped if they would voluntarily out themselves. I
have over the years had students voluntarily reveal to me severe
psychiatric illnesses. What has evolved over time is to whom else they
reveal this. In the early days of my career most of these students did not
want to reveal such illness even to our disability accommodation group with
the fear of somehow being outed. In later years,  registering with our DSS
became more common and the students reported feeling really helped when a
flare-up made course- taking difficult. Now I am seeing more students
coming and talking to me about their psychiatric illnesses and I suggest
something very different for them. I suggest that if society is to
understand that mental illness does not take away an individual's desire to
have friends, study and have a career, they should consider revealing their
problems to some friends and see what happens. An increasing number are
actually doing this, and have reported to me unbelievable acts of kindness
from fellow students and the joy of feeling included socially
without "hiding". At this moment, the only psychiatric illness that my
students are afraid to out themselves to classmates about and have reported
to me feeling greatly burdened by this need for secrecy, is schizophrenia.
Maybe one day...

Hanna Nekvasil

*Hanna Nekvasil*
*Director of Undergraduate Studies*