[MSA-talk] student personal disclosures (was ...color-blind students...)

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Thu Nov 2 20:04:43 EDT 2017

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 6:41 AM, Matt Kohn <mattkohn at boisestate.edu> wrote:

> > In a non-exam situation, I always suggest to students with color vision
> issues to ask their neighbors, and so they don’t feel self-conscious about
> it, I make sure at the start of the semester to note that I’m color-blind

Vision issues...
The .edu folk should double check with the disabilities folk.
There may be hints and guidelines on record in the art departments...

The issue is not simply disclosure.  It includes issues involving the
ability
to participate in the class and obtain a passing grade in a class that is
often mandated in the degree program.

Much the same as visual acuity to be able to see differences in
feldspars with a hand lense or build a contour map from a stereo pair
of aerial photos.

At one point I wanted our office to use the Munsell Rock Color Chart (GSA)
to describe
leached outcrop observations and got a lot of push back in an office of six
geologists.
The other five geologists were color blind to one degree or another,
hmmm...

One of the best individuals at visual identification of metallic sulfides I
know is partly color blind.

Apparently, "In the United States, under federal anti-discrimination laws
such as
the Americans with Disabilities Act, color vision deficiencies have not
been found
to constitute a disability that triggers protection from workplace
discrimination." (WP).

For adults... (university setting) I would not worry about self esteem.  I
would focus on the
subject and make sure all the tools for identification of minerals are
taught.  Color
is often the least reliable observation especially in field notes.  Grade
school and
middle school earth  science rocks and minerals teachers...  pay attention.

As for lab partners that is interesting... on the job adults cannot rely on
someone
else to do part of their job.    Best judgement applies here..
Suggestion for tests... allow  "appears blue (cb)"  where the student
invokes color blindness (cb).

There are now color recognition applications for most phones.
Color blind men were often better at photo analysis in WW2.
False color image processing can help. See  ImageJ for microscopy at the
NIH.
https://medicine.osu.edu/neuroscience/Documents/Biotechniques%20ImageJ%20overview%202013.pdf
https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/docs/guide/user-guide.pdf  <-- N.B. the hint
"Ethics in Image processing"