[MSA-talk] AOGS 2018 conference- Honolulu June 2018

Clara Solaro solaro at hawaii.edu
Mon Nov 13 20:24:54 EST 2017

Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to Session SE29- *Understanding Active
Volcanoes Using Multidisciplinary Approaches*, AOGS 2018 (3-8 June 2018,
Honolulu, USA).

For more information on the AOGS 2018 conference, please visit:
*http://www.asiaoceania.org/aogs2018/public.asp?page=home.htm
<http://www.asiaoceania.org/aogs2018/public.asp?page=home.htm>*

The conference will include 4 days of scientific sessions which will
combine keynote speakers, oral presentations and posters. Several field
trips are also planned (Pre and Post meeting field trips).

The deadline to submit abstracts is *19 January 2018*. For further
informations please feel free to contact the convener.

Session description

Session SE29: Understanding Active Volcanoes Using Multidisciplinary
Approaches

Convener: Clara Solaro
Co-Conveners: Helena Albert-Minguez, Fidel Costa, Paul Okubo, Yosuke Aoki

Asia and Oceania present regions with the highest concentration and number
of active volcanoes on Earth. Many of them are capable of large explosive
eruptions, producing high eruptive plumes or pyroclastic density currents.
Tephra material can thus be spread over considerable distances and affect
human settlements over large areas and/or long timescales, which makes
studies of these volcanoes even more important.
A large panel of data and observations on the activity of these volcanoes
should allow greater constraint of their eruptive systems. In particular,
it is important to unravel the link between volcanic plumbing systems and
the resulting eruption dynamics. Geophysical methods (seismology,
deformation, infrasound), geochemical monitoring (gas emission,
hydrothermalism), petrology/mineralogy studies and physical modelling are
all valuable means for acquiring a better understanding of volcanic systems
and processes. However, combining multiple areas of study on the same
target (e.g. petrology with seismology or gas emission data) is key to
significantly improving our understanding of volcanic systems.

In this session, we will explore the state-of-the-art of on-going research
focusing on studies of magmatic plumbing system structure and dynamics that
use a multiple (e.g. petrological plus geophysical) approach. We appreciate
contributions from volcanological field and lab observations, as well as
modelling and experimental results. We aim to foster the use of
interdisciplinary approaches for the study of volcanic processes,
representing progress toward possible interpretations of signs of unrest in
terms of causal subterranean plumbing system process.

We hope you consider submitting an abstract and attending the conference.

Sincerely,

Dr. Clara Solaro
University of Hawaii at Manoa
School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology, SOEST
1680 East-West Road POST 614
Honolulu, HI 96822
solaro at hawaii.edu

Dr. Helena Albert Minguez
Earth Observatory of Singapore
Nanyang Technological University
Singapore 639798
ahelena at ntu.edu.sg

Prof. Fidel Costa
fcosta at ntu.edu.sg

Dr. Paul Okubo
United States Geological Survey
Volcano Science Center- Hawaiian Volcano Observatory
United States · Hawaii National Park, HI
pokubo at usgs.gov

Prof. Yosuke Aoki
Earthquake Research Institute, University of Tokyo
1-1 Yayoi 1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0032, Japan
yaoki at eri.u-tokyo.ac.jp

--
Dr. Clara Solaro
University of Hawaii at Manoa
School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology SOEST
1680 East-West Road
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1680+East-West+Road&entry=gmail&source=g> POST
614
Honolulu, HI 96822