[MSA-talk] carbon coater advice for EDS/EBSD

Hannula, Kim hannula_k at fortlewis.edu
Thu Nov 16 10:39:20 EST 2017

MSA folks:

I need to buy a carbon coater for sample prep for a new SEM for EDS and EBSD work. In the past, I've used old models of carbon coaters and estimated the thickness of the coat by watching the color change on a piece of brass, but the new detectors can deal with the carbon coat much more precisely than they could when I first learned.

I've seen a huge range of prices for various models (from a model quoted at about $10,300 from SPI http://www.2spi.com/item/11429-ab/carbon-coating-systems/ to the Cressington 208C from Ted Pella, for $30,000ish).

What are the key factors that control whether a particular carbon coater will be useable? My primary users are undergraduate researchers (and possibly students in Mineralogy and Petrology and advanced courses) working with polished thin sections (all kinds of rocks, including deformed rocks). My engineering colleagues (who share the SEM with me) have different needs, but they aren't going to be using carbon to coat their samples.

Thanks for any advice.

Kim

Kim Hannula, Professor of Geoscience
Fort Lewis College