[MSA-talk] American Mineralogist New Special Collection "Lithium, beryllium and boron: Quintessentially Crustal"

Edward Grew esgrew at maine.edu
Thu Nov 16 15:01:27 EST 2017

I would like to draw your attention to the new special collection for
American Mineralogist, entitled “Lithium, beryllium and boron:
Quintessentially Crustal”, and invite you to submit manuscripts related
to the following:

"Since their nuclei are fragile and easily destroyed in stars, Li, Be and B
are 3 of the least abundant elements lighter than Fe in the solar system,
5-7 orders of magnitude less abundant than C, N and O. Yet the processes
leading to the formation of continental crust, such as the subduction
cycle, have led to localized enrichments sufficient to saturate
such systems with minerals where Li, Be and B are essential structural
constituents. Study of such minerals can thus enhance our understanding of
crust formation, and elucidate the fate of subducted crust. Lithium and B
each have two naturally occurring isotopes that further add to the
usefulness of Li and B minerals as tracers. Lithium and B also occur in two
crystallographic coordinations with oxygen, and the contrast between them
may allow us to
distinguish different pressure-temperature regimes. All three elements have
also found wide economic applications, and several of the minerals
themselves are valuable as gemstones. For this special section, we envision
a very broad scope, and will consider manuscripts that touch upon any of
these facets of light element mineralogy-petrology-geochemistry."

To give you an idea of other previous and ongoing special collections,
please go to: http://www.minsocam.org/MSA/AmMin/special-collections.html.
Finished topics are available in "booklets" (PDF or print). As a collection
grows, papers are published when they are ready.

Information for authors is available http://www.minsocam.org/MSA/
AmMin/instructions.html.

To submit a paper, go here: https://aminsubmissions.msubmit.net. Note
that when you do submit, please pull down the special collection name for
this
collection "Lithium, beryllium and boron: Quintessentially Crustal."

Feel free to contact me should you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Ed

Edward Grew
School of Earth and Climate Sciences
5790 Bryand Global Sciences Center
University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469-5790
USA
Email esgrew at maine.edu
Phone 207-581-2169 <(207)%20581-2169>