[MSA-talk] ultra-thin jeweler's saw

Benjamin Gilbert bgilbert at lbl.gov
Tue Nov 21 08:24:37 EST 2017

Dear Jason

We are looking into this exact question, although I can’t offer any solutions!

I understand from enquiries with colleagues that a diamond wire saw provides the finest cuts. However, I have only found one commercial (Electron Microscopy Sciences) and I can’t justify the $14k cost. It might be worth enquiring if there is a local electron microscopy facility that has such an device.

I am presently looking for a lower-cost hand saw jig which we could set up with a fine diamond wire, but I have not identified anything yet. I’ll let you know what we find and I would be grateful for any suggestions you receive or solutions you discover.

Best regards,

Ben

> On Nov 21, 2017, at 2:19 AM, Jason Herrin <jasonscottherrin at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi all,
>

> We are looking for the thinnest of thin diamond blades for cutting parallel serial sections of cm-sized and smaller mineral grains. Can anyone recommend a good blade or saw type?
>

> Any responses appreciated,
>
> Jason Herrin
> NTU Singapore

Benjamin Gilbert