[MSA-talk] ultra-thin jeweler's saw

Barb Dutrow dutrow at lsu.edu
Tue Nov 21 10:20:41 EST 2017

Dear Jason,

For cutting small crystals or rocks, I suggest using a wire saw. They
have diamond embedded wires, down to about 23 microns, for thin,
exacting cuts with minimal loss of material. The bench top saw comes
with a moveable head that can be rotated in the 3 directions, or a
goniometer head for exact positioning. In addition to cutting small
crystals, they cut thin sections, rocks, experimental charges, etc. They
are expensive, but well worth the cost  if you have many small materials
to cut.

I used the Well Diamond Wire Saw, Model 3500 (the company has
representatives in the US and Europe).

https://www.welldiamondwiresaws.com/product/Series%203000.htm#3242

Good  luck,
Barb Dutrow

On 11/21/17 2:19 AM, Jason Herrin wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> We are looking for the thinnest of thin diamond blades for cutting
> parallel serial sections of cm-sized and smaller mineral grains. Can
> anyone recommend a good blade or saw type?
>

> Any responses appreciated,
>

> Jason Herrin
>
> NTU Singapore

Barb Dutrow, Ph.D.
Adolphe G. Gueymard Professor of Geology
Department of Geology & Geophysics
E235 Howe-Russell Geoscience Complex
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803-4101 USA

O: 225-578-2525   F: 225-578-2302
www.geol.lsu.edu/dutrow | www.lsu.edu

office location: 203 Howe-Russell (Old Geology Bldg)