[MSA-talk] ultra-thin jeweler's saw

Robert Bodnar rjb at vt.edu
Tue Nov 21 13:19:01 EST 2017

George and others,

To help assure flat surfaces, we have made a series of supports
(basically large washers) that go on either side of the blade to
eliminate “wobble” of the blade when cutting.  Buehler provides
1 or 2 different sizes of these with the Isomet, and we have
made additional supports of different diameters that we
use depending on the size of the sample we are cutting.

Bob

> On Nov 21, 2017, at 11:40 AM, George Harlow <gharlow at amnh.org> wrote:
>
> With a Buehler Isomet saw, I have used both Pro-Slicer .004” x 4” diameter and Lapcraft DiaLaser (same specs) diamond blades, which typically yield a 0.01” kerf loss.  The challenge is to make flat cuts on larger crystals. I think the cuts are generally flatter than with a wire saw.  Lapcaraft sells its own products; Kingsley North and other vendors sell Pro-Slicer.
> Cheers,
> George
>

> George E. Harlow                                            gharlow at amnh.org
> Dept. Earth and Planetary Sciences
> American Museum of Natural History
> Central Park West at 79th Street New York, NY 10024-5192  U.S.A.
> Phone (212)769-5378     FAX  (212)769-5533

Robert J. Bodnar
Department of Geosciences (0420)
4044 Derring Hall
926 West Campus Drive