[MSA-talk] Epoxy for min/glass mounts

John H Fournelle johnf at geology.wisc.edu
Wed Nov 22 09:34:32 EST 2017

Pilar

I suggest you click over to the Edinburgh ion probe lab page which has a lot of useful information about sample preparation, not just for ion probe samples (e.g. rows of zircons)  but useful for mounting and polishing in general, and for a systematic evaluation of epoxies (again, focused upon needs of ion probe conditiuons, but useful for general information about epoxies that is usually not easily available in one place, say, “edge retention” ). Actually, since you indicate “mineral or glass mounts”, the ion probe-related sample prep information is exactly what you need.

https://www.ed.ac.uk/geosciences/facilities/ionprobe/technical/

Also, the Microbeam Labs at the Smithsonian also have some useful tips for mounting grains of different sizes (aimed at the difficulties of mounting and polishing small next to larrge grains, vis a vis EPMA standards)

https://mineralsciences.si.edu/facilities/standards/how_to_make_a_standard_mount.pdf

Finally, if you have tiny grains and want to avoid rounding the grains (or rounding off thin bubble walls in volcanic glass), which creates errors in EPMA measurements, you do not want to use soft pads with loose abrasive (diamoind, corundum).

John Fournelle