[MSA-talk] REE...

Modreski, Peter pmodreski at usgs.gov
Fri Nov 24 16:41:39 EST 2017

Guy, for the record, as I understand, rare-earths (especially Nd) are used
in the magnets in motors of electric vehicles, not particularly in the
batteries.  Lithium is the key ingredient in demand for the batteries.

Pete

On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 5:45 PM, Hovis, Guy L <hovisguy at lafayette.edu>
wrote:

> I've had the request below from a colleague. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> "Do you know about the mining of REE that are used in batteries?
> Specifically I’m interested in those used in hybrid and/or plug in hybrid
> vehicles? I am trying to learn more about the environmental impact of these
> different approaches to transportation."
>
> Best wishes and Happy Thanksgiving to all,
> Guy Hovis

Peter J. Modreski
U.S. Geological Survey, Denver, Colorado
Geochemist
Office of Communications - Community Relations and Educational Outreach
USGS, Mail Stop 150
Box 25046, Federal Center
Denver, CO 80225-0046
tel. 303-202-4766, fax 303-202-4742