[MSA-talk] REE...

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Fri Nov 24 18:22:07 EST 2017

On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 4:45 PM, Hovis, Guy L <hovisguy at lafayette.edu>
wrote:

> I've had the request below from a colleague. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> "Do you know about the mining of REE that are used in batteries?
> Specifically I’m interested in those used in hybrid and/or plug in hybrid
> vehicles? I am trying to learn more about the environmental impact of these
> different approaches to transportation."

There are perhaps two REE issues.  The important one is RE magnets in the
drive train.
i.e. the Rare Earth magnets produced from Neodymium and Praseodymium

The batteries that are important involve lithium which is not a REE.
Some lithium batteries are using nickel and cobalt with their own issues.

Once mined and formed into magnets REE recovery is quite easy because of
the extreme
magnetic properties which makes recovery a lot easier than some stuff.

REE mining seems to have radioactive element by product.  The issue with
radioactive
elements is the astounding sensitivity and detectability at a distance of
radioactive elements
natural and man made.
https://minerals.cr.usgs.gov/projects/Mountain_Pass_carbonatite/index.html

How sensitive...