[MSA-talk] REE...

Michael Jercinovic mjj at geo.umass.edu
Sun Nov 26 10:45:17 EST 2017

The NiMH (Ni metal hydride) rechargeable batteries used in hybrid
vehicles is usually Ni-La hydride. Other LREEs can be used as well.  I
read somewhere that about 10 lbs of La is used in each battery of a
Prius.  There is an older Mining.com article that claims that each Prius
engine uses 33 lbs. of lanthanum (batteries) and 2 lbs. neodymium
(magnets).  So Toyota has invested heavily in Matamec Explorations to
try to source REEs in North America.

Mike J.

On 11/25/2017 11:11 AM, Alexandra Navrotsky wrote:

> Many designs of  batteries and fuel cells involve  small amounts of
> RE in secondary components

Michael J. Jercinovic
Department of Geosciences
University of Massachusetts