[MSA-talk] Solid-Earth Geoscience Faculty Position at Michigan State University

Velbel, Michael velbel at msu.edu
Tue Nov 28 09:40:39 EST 2017

Dear All,

I’d like to draw your attention to the following faculty position in Michigan State’s Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences:

Thomas Vogel Endowed Professorship of the Solid Earth

Position Summary:

The Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences at Michigan State University is seeking an outstanding faculty candidate to fill the Thomas Vogel Endowed Professorship in Geology of the Solid Earth at the full professor rank with tenure.  Exceptional candidates at the associate professor level may also be considered.  This position contributes toward our mission of expanding upon a vigorous, internationally recognized Solid Earth program at MSU, serving to complement our dramatic growth in geophysics over the past few years.

The position is broadly defined as Solid Earth, and we invite applicants with broad areas of expertise including, but not limited to, geochemistry, geophysics, geochronology, petrology, and lithospheric dynamics.  Particular interest will be given to candidates with research that complements our current research growth and strength in igneous petrology and geochemistry, mineral physics, geodynamics, and seismology.  The successful applicant for this position will be expected to leverage substantial annual endowed resources that come with the professorship toward developing and maintaining a strong externally-funded research program. The successful applicant will also be expected to mentor and advise graduate students and post-doctoral scholars, teach undergraduate and graduate courses, and contribute toward maintaining our collegial, cohesive, and collaborative departmental environment.

Required Degree:
Doctorate

Minimum Requirements:
A Ph.D. in Geological Sciences, Geophysics, Geochemistry, or related field is required.  Applicants are expected to be leaders in the Solid Earth community and must have well-funded research programs and an exemplary record of scholarship.

Required Application Materials:
Initial review of applications will begin on January 2, 2018, but new applications will continue to be considered until the position is filled.  Interested applicants should upload one PDF document that includes all the following:  a cover letter, CV (including names and contact information for five references), and statements of research interests and teaching philosophy.  Further details and instructions for applying can be found on www.careers.msu.edu<http://www.careers.msu.edu> Posting# 478215.
MSU Careers Recent Jobs<http://www.careers.msu.edu/>
www.careers.msu.edu
Position Location Unit Opened Closes; TA Vogel Professor - Tenure System Job No: 478215: East Lansing: College Of Natural Science Nov 22, 2017 04:00 PM

Special Instructions:
Questions about the positions can be sent to the Search Chair, Allen McNamara, at allenmc at msu.edu<mailto:allenmc at msu.edu>.  Applications and queries will be handled in as confidential a manner as possible.

MSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and is committed to achieving excellence through diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We endeavor to facilitate employment assistance to spouses or partners of candidates for faculty and academic staff positions.
________________________________

~~~
M. A. Velbel, Ph.D.
Michigan Space Grant Consortium Affiliate Representative for MSU
288 Farm Lane, room 207 Natural Sciences Building
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI  48824-1115
'phone (517) 353-5273 (direct)
355-4626 (Dept. office)
fax 353-8787
e-mail: velbel at msu.edu<mailto:velbel at msu.edu>
web: http://geology.msu.edu/people/velbel.html

History, despite its wrenching pain,
Cannot be unlived, but if faced
With courage, need not be lived again.

Maya Angelou, "On the Pulse of the Morning"