[MSA-talk] Looking for rutile samples

Nancy McMillan nmcmilla at ad.nmsu.edu
Tue Oct 10 17:45:18 EDT 2017

Hello, fellow mineralogists!

Vali Memeti (Cal State Fullerton) and I are working on a project that involves LIBS analysis of heavy minerals in sedimentary rocks.  The idea is to analyze all the heavy minerals using LIBS, using multivariate analysis to sort the spectra by mineral.  Then we can develop a heavy mineral profile of the sediment, which should be a comprehensive signature for correlation.

The first step is building a database of minerals.  I have a undergraduate students analyzing zircon, apatite, titanite, garnet, tourmaline, and rutile, and I have enough samples of all of the mineral except rutile.  So we are asking if you might have a tiny bit of spare rutile, would you be willing to give it to us for the project?  We need a small piece, 0.5-1.0 cm3 (fingertip size).

Vali and I will both be at GSA and at the MSA-MVGP reception, if you don't care to ship the sample.  Or you could mail the sample to me at
Department of Geological Sciences
1255 N. Horseshoe, Room 171
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, NM  88003