[MSA-talk] Tips for helping color-blind students with optical mineralogy

Steve Dunn sdunn at mtholyoke.edu
Fri Oct 20 09:05:27 EDT 2017

Hi Lydia,

I learned optics from a color-blind professor, John Longshore at Humboldt
State, and it didn't inhibit him in the slightest.  I also have a son with
strong deuteranopia, so I've given this some thought over the years.  There
are numerous websites that deal with examples, and some will accept
uploaded images and give you back a color-blind version.  Here are examples
of the interference colors as seen by those with severe deuteranopia and
protanopia, along with the original.  Your student can learn to recognize
which color we call first order red, second order blue, etc. As with most
of us, certainty depends on seeing a thinned area or edge where lower-order
colors are revealed so we can "count" up to the grain's maximum
interference color.  John Longshore could always say, for example, "you
would probably call this grain blue-green."  He always nailed it.  Although
his socks didn't always match. :)

Best,

Steve