[MSA-talk] youngs modulus of calcite and aragonite

Ross John Angel rossjohnangel at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 06:05:16 EDT 2017

Dear Colleagues

just a reminder; there is strictly no single 'Youngs modulus' for
calcite, because calcite like all minerals is elastically anisotropic,
and therefore the "Youngs modulus" (which is really the inverse of the
elastic compliance for normal stress) varies with direction.

The full elastic tensor of calcite is reported in:
Chen C-C, Lin C-C, Liu L-G, Sinogeikin SV, Bass JD. Elasticity of
single-crystal calcite and rhodochrosite by Brillouin spectroscopy. Am
Min 2001;86(11–12):1525–9.

 From these data you can calculate that the Youngs modulus along the
c-axis is 57.6 GPa, and 91.6 GPa for directions in the (001) plane,
which illustrates the anisotropy. Consequently the value of the average
Youngs modulus depends on whether you average at the Reuss (average for
uniform stress) or Voigt (average for uniform strain) limit; the numbers
being <Y>=74.9 GPa for Reuss, 97.0 GPa for Voigt.

(all values for moduli given above are adiabatic)

Ross Angel

--
Dr. Ross John Angel
Department of Earth Sciences and Environment

rossjohnangel at gmail.com
Websites: www.rossangel.net | www.mile-deep.org