[MSA-talk] Mineral Interest

Glenn Waychunas gawaychunas at lbl.gov
Sun Oct 29 04:37:41 EDT 2017

Dear Fran and Frank:

That's what I recall too--those rocker bombs bobbing like babies in a
cradle.  Now a widespread methodology.  Great to hear from Dr. Dickson and
from you Frank.

Also, I don't recall reading anything from Frank D about Mossbauer---and I
used to do a lot of that.  Did I miss a whole block of work?

Best wishes

Glenn Waychunas (at the Munich Mineral show)

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 12:35 AM, Frank Spera <spera at ucsb.edu> wrote:

> Very interesting... always good to hear from you frank!!!
> Did you not pioneer the rocking bombs for hydrothermal studies way back on
> the Silurian at Stanford?
> Frank spera
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Oct 28, 2017, at 11:49 AM, Frank Dickson <dicksonfwgranite at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> *Oct 20, 2017 Hello Min Nuts: I am 95 years old, have always been
> interested in people and nature.  **As a boy in California I got up early
> walked to hills observing things, cows, oil wells, rocks.  Had rockhound
> brothers.  During WWII in China on a stroll I picked up alpha quartz whole
> crystals sent home.  At UCLA  Professor George Tunell taught me
> crystal structure among other things.  I worked with UCLA Clem Nelson on
> Papoose Flat pluton  in which crystals of orthoclase weathered out on
> ground. They were studied in chosen orientation. I now live in Westerly,
> Rhode Island. dug into Westerly Granite with moonstone orthoclase
> therapeutic crystals.  Textures differ.  PPF crystals during growth grew
> yriad tiny oriented crystals - boxy textures.  Westerly crystals separated
> close layers imparted sheen.  Frank Dickson*

Glenn Waychunas

Rehired/Retired Senior Scientist
Energy Geosciences Division
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory  MS 74-316C
One Cyclotron Road  Berkeley CA 94720

GAWaychunas at lbl.gov
Office:  Building 74 room 212B
Laboratories:  Building 74 room 227 (Interfaces), Building 74 room 229
(Nanogeoscience)
FAX 510-486-5686
Cell 650-400-3595