[MSA-talk] EGU session: Long-term rheology of deforming and reacting rocks

lucie tajcmanova lucataj at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 11:36:27 EST 2018

The deadline is approaching – do not miss it! You have a unique opportunity to actively participate in our session!

Note, that you cannot find a session with such a topical combination at any other conference than at EGU, Vienna 8-13 April 2018.

Our session couples multidisciplinary data and insights from petrology/structural geology/rock mechanics experiments/numerical models at all scales to improve our knowledge in long-term rheology and chemo-thermo-mechanical behavior of the lithosphere.

Invited speakers: Rainer Abart, Marcin Dabrowski, Sarah Incel, John Wheeler

See the details below:

Long-term rheology of deforming and reacting rocks: from laboratory to geological scales

http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2018/session/26543

The goal of this session is to reconcile short-time/small-scale and long-time/large-scale observations, including geodynamic processes such as subduction, collision, rifting or mantle lithosphere interactions. Despite the remarkable advances in experimental rock mechanics, the implications of rock-mechanics data for large temporal and spatial scale tectonic processes are still not straightforward, since the latter are strongly controlled by local lithological stratification of the lithosphere, its thermal structure, fluid content, tectonic heritage, metamorphic reactions and deformation rates.

Mineral reactions have mechanical effects that may result in the development of pressure variations and thus are critical for interpreting microstructural and mineral composition observations. Such effects may fundamentally influence element transport properties and rheological behavior.

Here, we encourage presentations focused on the interplay between metamorphic processes and deformation on all scales, on the rheological behavior of crustal and mantle rocks and time scales of metamorphic reactions in order to discuss

(1) how and when up to GPa-level differential stress and pressure variations can be built and maintained at geological timescales and  modelling of such systems,

(2) deviations from lithostatic pressure during metamorphism: fact or fiction?,

(3) the impact of deviations from lithostatic pressure on geodynamic reconstructions.

We therefore invite the researchers from different domains (rock mechanics, petrographic observations, geodynamic and thermo-mechanical modelling) to share their views on the way forward for improving our knowledge of the long-term rheology and chemo-thermo-mechanical behavior of the lithosphere.

Please submit your abstract before 10 January 2018, 13:00 Central European Time here:

https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2018/abstractsubmission/26975

More information on EGU2018 is available at www.egu2018.eu <http://www.egu2018.eu/>  and abstract guidelines can be found at: https://egu2018.eu/abstract_management/how_to_submit_an_abstract.html

see you at EGU 2018!

Yury Podladchikov,  Nicolas Brantut , Magdalena Scheck-Wenderoth , Lucie Tajcmanova , Philippe Yamato ​

Lucie Tajcmanova

ERDW-ETH Zurich

Sonneggstrasse 5

8092 Zurich