[MSA-talk] MSA-talk Digest, Vol 52, Issue 4 1. Polysynthetic twin drawings (George Harlow)

Shiyun Jin sjin48 at wisc.edu
Fri Jan 5 17:24:11 EST 2018

Hi,

You can generate crystal shape images with vesta. It a very powerful free software.
http://jp-minerals.org/vesta/en/
I attached an example of Calcite (001) twin. I know it is not a common polysynthetic twin law for calcite, but it is the easiest to create. It takes some time to think about how the twin domains are relatively orientated and spaced from each other if the twin laws are more complicated.

Use edit-edit data-crystal shape to define crystal faces, and use edit-edit data-phase to create new phase (by copying the phase you already have) as new twin domains. And change the the positioning and orientation of the new phase according to the twin law. Also remember to define the composition plane of the twin as the crystal face of each domain, and position each twin domain so that the composition plane would overlap with each other.

Shiyun
PhD candidate
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Email: sjin48 at wisc.edu<mailto:sjin48 at wisc.edu>

 1. Polysynthetic twin drawings (George Harlow)