[MSA-talk] EGU 2018 session "Metals and sulfides in magmatic systems: from core formation to ore formation"

Vera Laurenz vera.laurenz at uni-bayreuth.de
Mon Jan 8 09:39:26 EST 2018

Dear colleagues,

the abstract deadline for this year's EGU meeting in Vienna is
approaching quickly (10th January 2018, 13:00 CET), so we would like to
draw your attention to the interdisciplinary session on
*Metals and sulfides in magmatic systems: from core formation to ore
formation*

We look forward to receiving your contributions!

Best wishes,
Vera, Ellie and Frances

GMPV2.9 (PS6.3)
*Metals and sulfides in magmatic systems: from core formation to ore
formation*
Convenors: Vera Laurenz, Eleanor Jennings, Frances Jenner

*Invited speaker:  Hannah Hughes (University of Exeter) *

Trace element and associated isotope signatures are widely used as a
geochemical tool in a variety of magmatic systems such as meteorite
parent body processes, Earth’s core formation, mantle melting, evolution
of volcanic systems or the formation of ore deposits. In magmatic
processes, metal and sulfide phases often play a major role in
controlling the geochemical behavior of a variety of siderophile and
chalcophile trace elements. For example, the HSEs (highly siderophile
elements) are controlled by metals and sulfides during partial melting,
and sulfides are essential for the enrichment of economically important
elements such as Cu and Ni into ore deposits. Therefore, it is important
to investigate the role of metals and sulfides for the behavior of
siderophile and chalcophile trace elements in magmatic systems. The aim
of this session is to bring together studies of natural samples with
experimental studies in order to interpret trace element and isotope
signatures in mantle samples and magmatic rocks and to shed light on
processes leading to their formation. We therefore invite contributions
from a variety of fields including, but not limited to, (experimental)
petrology and geochemistry as well as cosmochemistry.