[MSA-talk] EGU 2018 - EGU2018: GMPV4.3: Storage, activation and transport processes within magmatic systems

Danilo Di Genova digenovadanilo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 05:57:16 EST 2018

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to the session GMPV4.3 at the next EGU
General Assembly (8-13 April 2018, Vienna):

"Storage, activation and transport processes within magmatic systems"

Conveners:  Hélène Balcone-Boissard, Chiara Montagna, Danilo Di Genova,
Mike Cassidy

As a reminder, *the deadline for abstract submission is 10 January 2018,
13:00 CET. *You can submit your abstracts here: http://meetingorganizer.
copernicus.org/EGU2018

Session description:

Volcanic systems evolve through the interaction of numerous processes
governing the emplacement, ascent, and eruption of magma. These dynamic
processes operate and interlink on scales of millimetres to kilometres,
occur at various timescales and involve complex physics at the interface
between fluid and solid mechanics that is challenging to tackle. Its
understanding is nonetheless crucial for forecasting the location, style
and violence of volcanic eruptions, particularly after prolonged dormancy
period, and for providing accurate hazard and risk assessments.
This session aims to bring together those who address the physical and
temporal evolution of magmatic systems from storage, activation through
ascent to eruption by using field or geophysical observations, theoretical
or analytical models, and experimental or numerical methods. We welcome
contributions addressing magma dynamics, its relationships to physical and
chemical properties, and its bearing on the geochemical, geophysical and
petrological observables that we are able to record at the surface.

This session is process-oriented, and it aims to trigger cross-disciplinary
interactions. We therefore strongly encourage comparisons and validation of
modelling results with field and/or geophysical observations, as this is a
crucial step toward fully unravelling the complex processes beneath, within
and upon volcanoes.

See you in Vienna!

Kind regards,

Hélène, Chiara, Danilo and Mike

Dr. Danilo Di Genova

Research Associate (NERC Large Grant DisEqm)

School of Earth Sciences, University of Bristol, UK.

tel: (+44)(0)117-331-5181 (direct) or 5400 (School Office)